In order to meet the diverse educational needs of all the students at Alderman Peel High School, some of our students will access City and Guilds Level 1 or 2 qualifications in Horticulture. In our experience, this practical type of learning can help students to achieve their potential academically, socially and emotionally (in addition to the main school curriculum).
The City and Guilds qualification is a partnership between Alderman Peel High School, Holkham Estate and Easton College. This allows our students to complete the their City and Guilds qualification at Holkham Estate and learning from experienced Holkham staff. Mrs Yarham our HLTA co-ordinates the Holkham Alternative Curriculum Programme. Easton College tutor delivers the taught elements of the course and assesses the student’s portfolio.
This quality partnership between Alderman Peel High School and Holkham Estate has been recognised for its innovation and quality and we have won the EDP School Business Partnership Award.
The whole Alternative Curriculum is over-seen by Mr Tawana (Assistant Headteacher) who quality assures all aspects of the course from delivery to best value for the school.
• Assistant Headteacher and Mrs Yarham meet Holkham Estate Lead and Easton College Lead to plan delivery at the start of the year and review the course at the end of the year.
• Assistant Headteacher ensures Easton College tutor has DBS as part of our school single record
• Assistant Headteacher visits Holkham Estate to observe the tutor teach and ensures they write good quality progress reports for parents/carers
• Assistant Headteacher shares best practice on Safeguarding with Holkham Estate staff who work with our students
• Assistant Headteacher meets with Mrs Yarham regularly to review attainment and progress of students
• Assistant Headteacher reports to Head Teacher and Governing Body on Alternative Curriculum on attainment and progress of the students
• Students parent/carers receive excellent information, advice and guidance on the Alternative Curriculum as part of the Year 9 Options process